In the news today: An internal CDC document about the delta variant of the coronavirus grimly declares “the war has changed”; there may be a glimmer of hope yet for a voting-rights workaround to the filibuster, with Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia playing a central role in revising the bill; Attorney General Merrick Garland is threatening to sue Texas Gov. Greg Abbott over an aggressive order targeting migrants; and Republican voters are feeling pretty down about the state of the party—80% of them also say the election was stolen.
Finally, in two notable moves today, the Justice Department turned over evidence to Congress that Trump pressured DOJ officials to back his election fraud lies and it also ordered Treasury to turn over Trump’s tax returns to Congress.
All these stories and more below.
Happy Friday, folks. Stay safe!
- Internal CDC document says delta variant is more contagious, more deadly
- Filibuster carve-out for voting rights might be in reach with Manchin
- An eviction crisis is about to exacerbate the resurging COVID-19 crisis
- Attorney General Merrick Garland threatens to sue Texas over order targeting migrants
- Thanks to Trump, the GOP’s future doesn’t look very bright to Republican voters
- Civiqs poll: 80% of Republicans believe election was stolen from Trump
- ‘Beginning of an historic moment’: First group of Afghan allies who aided military arrive in U.S.
- DOJ orders Treasury Department to turn over Donald Trump’s tax returns to Congress
- Trump pressured Justice Department daily to help him steal the 2020 election from Biden
Powered by WPeMatico