The Supreme Court gutted both American privacy rights and public safety with two brazenly far-right rulings last week. They’re not done yet; by this time next week, the court is likely to have erased the government’s ability to enforce environmental regulations using an equally bizarre far-right theory that could erase the federal government’s ability to write any regulations. And at that point, with the help of stonewalling Republican senators, large parts of the United States government simply cease to exist.
The end of Roe is heralding a new era of cruelty and civil rights attacks even as a conservative-stacked Supreme Court strips, from the other federal branches, the power to do anything about it. And the court’s most zealous (sedition-supporting) Republican has already drafted his own list of which rights need to disappear next.
Some of the weekend’s news:
- Conservative pundits beg Republicans for some token sign the fascist mob cares about ‘life’
- In concurring opinion, Clarence Thomas offers a laundry list of other rights he wants to strike down
- Ron Johnson changes his story, admits involvement in effort to hand Mike Pence fake elector slates
- States consider their options after Supreme Court sets the stage for increasing gun violence
- The Great Regression, Jim Crow 2.0, and the end of the American Experiment
Powered by WPeMatico