News broke today that the Secret Service knew about threats to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi days before the Jan. 6 coup attempt, but they didn’t tell her or the U.S. Capitol Police about those threats until the violence was already underway. This adds another wrinkle to the “accidental” scrubbing of Secret Service communications from before and during the coup.
Meanwhile, in Florida, it still looks like Donald Trump willingly violated the Espionage Act and other federal laws—and whether Florida’s most devoted Trump impersonator, current governor Ron DeSantis, broke laws in firing a state attorney who objected to new Republican demands to prosecute abortions in his state remains to be seen.
In not-crime news, Daily Kos and Julia Louis-Dreyfus are partnering up to endorse seven Democrats running for vital state supreme court seats. Given the new Republican emphasis on declaring election results they don’t like to be invalid because reasons, new Republican-state abortion bans, and new gerrymandering attempts to circumvent the will of state voters even when ballots are cast, these are among the most important races in the country.
Here’s some of what you may have missed:
- Daily Kos and Julia Louis-Dreyfus join forces to help Democrats win key state supreme courts!
- Secret Service knew about threat to Pelosi ahead of Jan. 6 and didn’t share it with Capitol Police
- Let’s talk about the possible crimes underpinning the Mar-a-Lago search warrant
- Florida state attorney ousted for disagreeing with DeSantis is suing for ‘illegal abuse of power’
- Liz Cheney isn’t the most important thing about her primary loss. It’s about the Republican Party
Powered by WPeMatico