Friday’s news was dominated by Thursday’s move by Georgia Republicans to do everything they can to suppress the vote enough to win. And, since SB 202 specifically targets Black voters, this has to be regarded as an intentional restoration of Jim Crow for the purposes of voting at least. Continuing our years of coverage of voting rights issues, Daily Kos covered this story throughout the day:
- Black legislator arrested for trying to expose Georgia Republicans celebrating their racist law.
- Biden blasts Republicans’ voter suppression, while Manchin gives credence to their Big Lie.
- The optics of the Georgia voter suppression bill signing are even worse than they first appeared.
- Watch Stacey Abrams put the long, long fight for voting access in context in less than two minutes.
In other news:
- Unusually large deluge of bills aimed at restricting abortion access introduced in 44 states.
- Zuckerberg squirms out of acknowledging Facebook’s central role in the Capitol insurrection.
- On Trump’s watch, COVID-19 agriculture relief was mainly for white farmers only.
- Biden admin calls for federal volunteers to help get asylum-seeking children out of U.S. custody.
From the community:
- MI GOP Chair calls Whitmer, Nessel, Benson “Three Witches,” talks about assassinating officials.
- Black Kos, Week In Review – African origins of Caribbean music, Reggae, Calypso, Compas, and Zouk.
Powered by WPeMatico