The Supreme Court continued to dismantle the very foundations of civil rights and government with a new ruling today claiming that government agencies cannot pass regulations touching on “major questions” if Congress has not written a law authorizing those specific regulations. What counts as a “major question?” Whatever six archconservative Supreme Court justices handpicked for their hostility toward regulations declare to be one, that’s what. Originalism!
Also in our garbage news cycle of a garbage week on a rapidly decaying planet, the Biden White House asks Lucy to please hold the football again, Republicanism’s paramilitary thugs yet again storm a kids’ library event, and the Supreme Court agrees to take up a case declaring that elections themselves are optional in Republican-held states.
The now far-right Supreme Court seems to have a very specific plan in mind now, and it will leave America looking nothing like it does today. Here’s some of what you may have missed:
- Damn the Constitution, full speed ahead … toward a nation that is literally ungovernable
- Biden makes deal with McConnell on anti-abortion judicial nominee who was too corrupt for Trump
- Supreme Court agrees to hear case that could shatter democracy in any state with a GOP legislature
- Conservatives writing ‘witch hunt’ laws to prevent crossing state lines to obtain an abortion
- Proud Boys prance into public library and ruin yet another book event for kids
Powered by WPeMatico