Earlier this week, Daily Kos covered Dolly Parton’s endearing, humble statement in which she said she respectfully declined the opportunity to be considered for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Turns out it’s too late for Parton’s withdrawal. Thursday, the organization responded by telling the general public that about 1,200 ballots have already gone out to voters—and her name is on them, according to The Washington Post.
The organization tweeted an explanation of where it’s coming from in terms of including Parton, who is not a traditional rock-and-roll artist. “Dolly Parton’s music impacted a generation of young fans and influenced countless artists that followed,” the statement reads in part. “Her nominations to be considered for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame followed the same process as all other artists who have been considered.”
The organization did acknowledge Parton’s statement from a few days prior, referencing her “thoughtful note” where she expressed her perspective that she has not yet “earned the right” to be nominated. “In addition to her incredible talent as an artist,” the organization said. “Her humility is another reason Dolly is a beloved icon by millions of fans around the world.”
Whether or this is really the best move could be debated. On the one hand, the organization isn’t honoring Parton’s wishes, which doesn’t seem the best way to respect her. On the other hand, the organization seems to at least be trying to recognize the ways different genres of music blend into one another and honor an undeniable contemporary icon and legend.
Parton has yet to reject the organization’s rejection, so we’ll see what happens next. How many more public statements do you think we’ll see between these two parties before winners are named?
Powered by WPeMatico