The last 24 hours have seen severe damage in Ukrainian cities as the Russian military, as widely expected, transitions to more indiscriminate attacks on civilian areas after the initial Russian push faced heavy Ukrainian resistance—and seemingly uniform incompetence on the part of Russian military leaders. We are also getting more video of Russian losses, as Ukrainian forces continue to successfully damage supply convoys still struggling to provide food, fuel, and supplies to Russian combat teams.
As Ukrainians huddle in subway stations and food in the country becomes more scarce, the Russian economy remains largely shuttered as world sanctions enforce unprecedented monetary isolation of the nation. Today saw the first reported seizure of a Russian oligarch-owned megayacht as nations look to seize the assets of Vladimir Putin’s top kleptocratic allies. Today also saw confirmation that hundreds of the promised anti-tank and anti-air weapons pledged to Ukraine have already arrived inside the country.
It is now increasingly clear that Russia cannot meet its original goal of swiftly subduing Ukraine. It can, however, commit atrocities against the country’s civilian population as Putin-backed retribution for Russia’s military humiliation. Some of today’s updates:
- Putin’s diplomatic isolation reaches unfathomable heights
- ‘Not a sound of life out there’
- In Mariupol ‘the situation is awful, we are near to a humanitarian catastrophe’
- Let’s talk some more about logistics. It’s the reason Russia is losing this war
- Tucker Carlson tries to gaslight his way out of having pushed Putin’s anti-Ukraine propaganda for a month
- The Russian invasion of Ukraine: ‘There is no way for Russia to win’
Powered by WPeMatico